It’s that time of year again! Yes, Christmas, when it’s nearly impossible to eat out in Budapest. But don’t worry! We collected a list of recommended restaurants again to help you find the perfect place during the holidays.
24th of December
Definitely the hardest day. In Hungary Christmas Eve is the most important day of the holiday season, when the closer family members spend the evening together. That’s also when Hungarians get their presents from Little Jesus – not Santa, he arrives at night on the 5th of December! And of course we cook dinner for a village. So let’s see where can you find dinner on the 24th of December in Budapest.
Your best chance is the hotel restaurants, they all remain open during the whole holiday season. Most of them even have a fabulous Christmas menu! Reservation is a must. Our picks?
- Costes Downtown – Michelin star restaurant in the centre
- Baltazár – in the castle district
- Deák St. Kitchen – on the “Fashion Street” of Budapest
- Caviar&Bull – also put together a fabulous Christmas dinner
- Kollázs – in the Four Seasons
- High Note SkyBar – wonderful rooftop bar on top of Aria Hotel
25th of December
All of the previous places are open on this day as well, and you have much better chances to find restaurants that are not part of a hotel. Let’s see our favourites!
- Börze – classic coffee house atmosphere, perfect for brunch as well
- La Fabbrica – Italian facing the St Stephen’s Basilica
- Zona – under the Castle District
- Peet and the Flat White – more casual coffeeshop with brunch-style dishes
- Up&Down – near the Liberty Bridge, great view to the Gellért Hill
- My Wine – Hungarian wines and good tapas-like food from 4 pm
26th of December
Everything from the previous two days are open already, plus a few places join the party on the last day of Christmas:
- Macesz Bisztró – modern Jewish and Hungarian cuisine
- Cupákos – casual place with lots of classic Hungarian dishes in a modern atmosphere
- Costes – the first Michelin star restaurant of Budapest (not the same as Costes Downtown!)
- Kiosk – where the cool kids eat, next to the Elisabeth bridge
I have to mention Gelarto Bistro in a separate category, because they are open every day (yes, even the 24th), but only from 10 am to 4 pm. So no dinner… But everything is vegan! Plus they have the famous rose shaped gelato, with many vegan options as well.
You don’t have to live without great quality specialty coffee during the holidays. Here are some joints that are open:
- Mantra – 24th: 8:30-14:00, 25th and 26th: 8:30-18:00
- Warmcup – 24th: 10:00-14:00, 25th and 26th: 10:00-18:00
- Cube – 24th: 9:00-16:00, 25th: 12:00-16:00, 26th: 9:00-16:00
New Year’s Eve
It’s much easier to find a restaurant that’s open on New Year’s Eve or the first day of the year, but always check the opening times, and make sure that you have a reservation. Many restaurants prepare with a special New Year’s Eve dinner.
Do you need more ideas for your winter visit? Check out our blog post about all the things you can do in Budapest in the winter months! And if you want to immerse yourself more in Hungarian culinary don’t forget to book our private Food Tour.